Friday, May 11, 2012

11 Years ago today....

In honor of my birth son's 11th birthday I'm posting his birth story again. Happy Birthday Kendrick! I was 19 when I found out I was pregnant for the first time. I was just about to start college. It was one of those things that I thought I was invincible from. It was a scary time. I didnt want my baby to have to grow up being the middle of custody battles and have to watch his mom struggle just to provide for the two of them. I wanted him to have a mommy and daddy that loved each other and him. So I started looking at adoption. I went though my church's adoption program. They gave me a bunch of letters hopeful parents had written telling about their families. The first letter I read I knew it was my baby's family. I was able to meet them and a wonderful feeling came over me as I walked into the room where they were. I knew this was meant to be. The next 9months were the hardest. I had so many different people give me their views on what I was doing. Some thought I was an angel for choosing adoption. Others told me I was just throwing my baby away. But I knew the reason I chose this for my baby. I wanted him to have a better life. It wasn't because I wanted anything better for myself. It wasn't because I wanted freedom. I wanted the best for my baby. I continued to keep the family updated on my progress through letters. And they told me more and more about their family. 2 weeks went passed my due date and I was still pregnant. I was getting so miserable and antsy. My doctor decided to induce me. So early morning on May 10th I went into the hospital and was put on pitocin. That is some nasty stuff. I had hard labor for 18 hours and 2 hours of pushing. Kendrick J was born on May 11th 2001 at 2:38am weighing 9lbs 7oz and 20inches long. He was a big baby.
I was able to stay in the hospital a couple of days with him and get to know him. May 13th Mother's Day was my last day at the hospital. I had asked that the adoptive family come to the hospital so I could place him in their arms. It was a very emotional fist Mother's Day for me. I had no idea if I would see him again. The agency was only semi open at the time so I would only receive pictures and letters for the first couple years and that would be it. However, his family wanted to have an open adoption. So they found a way to get me the info I needed to contact them.
Now eleven years later we have an amazing relationship. I feel apart of their family. I love being able to watch my birth son and my birth daughter ,that I placed with them a few year later, grow. I wish we lived closer so we could have more visits but the visits we do have are so wonderful and precious to me. I am so blessed.
Now this mother's day I find my self happier then every. I have an almost three year old little girl and a baby on the way and an amazing husband who loves me and respects me for my past decisions. What a life :)

No comments: